Tuesday, July 13, 2010

13. Juli 2010

Part 1: Heidelberg Castle and Europe Fail

Castles are totally worth all the hype. Even though nothing will ever be Hogwarts, regular, non-magical castles are still pretty bad ass. For one, Heidelberger Schloss was built during the late 1200's/early 1300's, withstood bombardment in the 30 years war and near total destruction in the 9 years war (damn Frenchmen) and was not harmed during WWII, and is totally safe to walk in today, thanks to some restoration during the Romantic Period.

Put simply, this place is a fortress. I mean, look how thick these walls are!
Also, Heidelberger Schloss is the home of Europe's largest wine casket (that's actually been used - France has one that's simply for decoration, but Heidelberg's was used 4 times), which can hold 58,100 gallons of wine. Yum!

I spent a good four hours at the Schloss and then headed back down to Heidelberg, but, planning fail: Sundays in small German towns are useless. With the exception of some cafes and restaurants, everything was closed, and while a cup of coffee and cake was nice, I wasn't about to spend my entire day eating and drinking. I'd pass out. So I went back to my room, made some phone calls, took a long hot shower, took a nap, and watched World Cup in the comfort of my bed. Holland lost. I was unenthused. I packed and went to bed.

Frankfurt is coming in a different post, just so things are nicely formatted. But here are some lovely pictures of Heidelberg!


Tschüss,
Katharine

No comments:

Post a Comment